Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries, if I don't get some I think I'm going to cry

As soon as it hits 20 degrees Celsius around here, it's officially patio season. When I sit down to think about it, I'm not quite sure of the appeal of sitting and eating in the parking lot/street side but we love it. We actually left a restaurant last week since they hadn't yet opened up their patio. Today was another gorgeous day with lots of sunshine and Debbie and Eric over for a visit so we walked up to our local burger joint for dinner on the patio. It turns out that the patio is the perfect place to have a meal when you have a toddler that likes to throw his food. Debbie and Eric aren't quite versed on dinner out with a 1-year old and hummed and hawed over the menu selections - between them and the roving waiter, we were almost 20 minutes before ordering. Matt did not account for this in his food preparation and Simon had already gone through the food that we had brought by the time our food arrived. This would normally spell disaster because experience shows that we can keep Simon quiet as long as the food keeps coming. Simon took matters into his own hands, literally, and helped himself to Auntie Debbie's sweet potato fries. I was quite surprised at how much he enjoyed them, considering how many times he has turned down sweet potatoes that I have tried to feed him. He probably ate half of Debbie's fries! He even tried to copy Debbie and have some dip - unfortunately for Debbie, he decided to dip his dirty fingers versus a sweet potato fry. By the end of the meal, we were kind of regretting our decision to walk to the restaurant and to eat out on the patio because it got cold fast. We were quite the sight walking home trying to huddle for warmth - with the exception of Simon who had a nice cosy sleeping back to snuggle up in - the biggest challenge was keeping Eric out of Simon's stroller because he wanted to curl up with him :)

No comments: